Information I found interesting about my new home:
Bangkok was founded by Rama I in 1782 and is known to Thais as Krung Themp, which means City of Angels. Krung Themp is shortened form of Bangkok’s full name- the full name exceeds 150 letters (see below).
- Population- 6,355,144 in the city, a total of 11,971,000 in greater Bangkok
- 81% of residents are Thai, 10% Chinese and 4% Malaysian
- Bangkok is 6.5 feet above sea level
- Bangkok is located on the Chao Phraya River, 20 kilometers upstream from the Gulf of Thailand. Bangkok has been called the Venice of the East due to the bridges and canals throughout the city.Chao Phraya means River of Kings and is the combination of 2 rivers from the north- the Ping and Nan; this river is Thailand’s most important transportation link as well as feeding rice growing lands.
- There are over 1,000 buildings categorized as skyscrapers in Bangkok, making it the world’s 17th tallest city
- Average temperature is 96 degrees Fahrenheit (36 Celsius), the hottest months of the year are February, March and April
- Income- the 2000 census estimated the average income per month in Bangkok was US$196; a 2007 update placed the number US$1,200 per month. There is a huge disparity between these two numbers and appears to be no agreement- the GDP per capita in Thailand is US$8,600.
- There are over 400 Buddhist Temples in Bangkok, 55 mosques and 10 churches; 92% of the population is Buddhist
- Over 11,000,000 tourists visit Bangkok each year
- Bangkok’s GDP is over 25% of Thailand’s total GDP
Bangkok’s full name: Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit
I like your photo may I use it my blog. So if you don’t allow please tell me by e-mail.
Yes, you can use the photo. It would be appreciated if you could reference my blog when you use the photo…..
I love thailand, im doing it on a school project